Thursday, August 19, 2010

Winnipeg 2010: Day 1

Another year has gone by and with it comes another visit to Winnipeg. This year has been a particularly hectic one at work, with four teaching contracts and one research project to complete in three months: The pressure was great. Having finally wrapped up tasks by mid-July and working on a reduced schedule for the rest of the summer, a quick visit to my hometown was in order. Visiting Winnipeg is always a psychological shift, indicating an end to stress; for a time, I can relax. I was also looking forward to re-connecting with family and friends, some of whom I have not seen in many years.

This year's visit is marked by the meeting of some new additions to the family: Renzy, my brother Alec and his wife Dani's, son; Luiza, my cousin Iris and her husband Chris's, daughter; and Indigo, my cousin Ruby and her husband Matthew's, daughter. This year, my visit coincided with that of my sister, Christine, a Vancouver resident; so, it was great to re-unite with her and her husband, Rob, after a year. Regrettably, our other sister, Maria (Lulu), and her kids, Lauren and Ella, had already visited earlier in the summer, so I missed seeing them. But just as in previous visits, this year's was great fun, with opportunities to catch up with siblings, cousins, nephews, former neighbours, and colleagues. The common element, the tie that binds us all: the sharing of memories while indulging in delicious food.

I am met at the airport by long time friend and former colleague, Manning, who, with great generosity, is lending Greg and me his vehicle during our stay. After a brief visit with him over coffee, I drive over to my parents' condo in for lunch, before heading over to my brother Alec's home. This is the first time for me to meet his and Dani's son, Renzy, who was born last November. He is a remarkably well-tempered and calm baby who is content to play on his own. Recalling my own histrionics at the same age, especially when feeling I had been abandoned, I am struck by Renzy's independence and equanimity. Dani recounts the memorable time she has had in the past year, bonding with Renzy, grateful for such a well-dispositioned son.

A few hours after my visit to Alec and Dani's, I am on my way to a reunion at the home of Kathy, my former boss at the Division of Continuing Education, University of Winnipeg. I was an instructor and junior administrator with the English Language Program (ELP) from 1999 to 2004.

The ELP was established in the early 90s as part of the University of Winnipeg's Division of Continuing Education. Students from places as far away as Central Asia, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America enroll in the program to develop or improve their English language skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Generally, the Program attracts two kinds of students: those seeking an advantage in the job market of their respective home countries, given how English has become the international language for business and academia, and that a certificate from a North-American institution is regarded as highly advantageous in their home countries; or, those seeking to enter degree-credit programs in a Canadian university, some with the hope of eventually immigrating to Canada.

Students' reasons for studying abroad vary, which when coupled with unique personalities, often presents program faculty and administrators perplexing issues to resolve. In my time in the Program, these include students offering far more than the regular tuition, in order to be fast-tracked through the program; a husband who refused to be placed in a class he deemed to be of a lower level than that of his wife; a young couple, who, without notification, abandons its apartment full of luxury goods, in order to return home; and a young student on the verge of a suicide attempt, for whom administrators have to intervene.

Despite some setbacks, the program thrives, buoyed by dedicated teaching staff and eager, hard-working students. Part way through my stint in the Program, a re-structuring takes place, resulting in a more efficient system of teaching that corresponds with students' learning needs and goals. The re-structuring also benefits instructors, providing choices for teaching a range of courses and levels for which their pedagogical strengths are best utilized. Efficient channels of communication between students, teaching staff, and program administrators facilitate the exchange of ideas and the prompt resolution of issues and grievances. Not all is perfect; however, progress continues to be made.

On arriving at the event early, I reflect on the many years since I last saw, or have been in touch with, my English Language Program (ELP) colleagues. I have no idea who, if any, would come. I am delightfully surprised, then, when over twenty of us attend, some with their spouses, others with their kids.

During the event, I am too engrossed in conversations to take many photos, but I am thrilled to catch up with Rita, Steve, Janis, Sharon, Tom, Erin, Elizabeth, Stephanie, Alison, Bruce, Carol, Lydia, Penka, Lixiang, Anu, Eleanor, Manning, and of course, Kathy. A common reminiscence emerges from these one-on-one conversations: the sensitivity, and compassion that we, as ELP instructors, embodied and imparted on to our students. Naturally, this attitude was partly reflective of individual personalities. But it was also, I believe, partly due to the inimitable Kathy, as Program Director, who cultivated a leadership style - based on equity, insight, discernment, and warmth - that made the ELP what it was.

A lot has happened in our lives over the past six years, yet in many respects, we remain the same people who worked together and impacted each others' lives - very much a family - in those years at Carlton and Portage and then at the Massey Building. In light of current approaches to institutional administration, which takes educators for granted and prioritizes credentials over competency, the years at the ELP under Kathy's direction, as well as the opportunity to work with highly dedicated teachers, were fulfilling ones. They were also profoundly affecting as, years later, Kathy can still bring together the same people, who come with the same infectious joy and passion for teaching. Now approaching middle age, I am particularly aware of the importance of remembering and the role it plays in not only maintaining ties, but also in affirmation and reassurance. So, I am grateful to Kathy, Steve and my friends and former colleagues at ELP, DCE for this deeply meaningful and memorable event.

My first day in Winnipeg is a long one. Returning to my parents' condo to reunite with Greg - he came in late this evening, on a separate flight - I recount the events of the day, basking in warm memories.

See slide show below for more images (click on slide show to enlarge).

No comments:

Post a Comment